More information and update can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/events/466943463417039/
The convening authority at Fort Carson has acted with extreme cruelty to deny PFC Kimberly Rivera’s request for clemency to allow her to be excused from serving the last few weeks of her sentence so that she could be with her new born son, Matthew.
We stand with Amnesty International and people of conscience around the world in condemning this action to punish Kimberly (and her infant son) for refusing to continue to serve in Iraq.
We urge all people of conscience to take one of the following actions on Sunday, December 1, 2013:
1. Hold a vigil or nonviolent demonstration outside the gates of a US military installation or at another visible public place in your community.
2. Hold vigils or nonviolent demonstrations outside US embassies and consulates, as well near US border crossing checkpoints.
3. Write letters urging President Obama to use his power as Commander-in-Chief to pardon Kimberly Rivera and order her immediate release from confinement.
4. Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper condemning the actions of the US Army in this case.
Please find somehow to take action and then please post pictures and other news about your action on this page. The US Army and the world needs to know that WE WILL NOT BE SILENT when war resisters are being persecuted!
Note: In most locales actions will be taking place at 3 p.m. local time.
- Update November 4, 2013: Press Release: Pregnant War Resister seeks early release from military prison- 495 supporters from around the world write letters in support of clemency application
- Update May 10, 2013: Mario Rivera speaks on TV asking for his wife’s early release
- Update: April 29, 2013: Iraq War Resister Kimberly Rivera sentenced to 14 months in military prison after deportation by Harper government
- Backgrounder on the case of PFC Kimberly Rivera